MEET ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR JOHN CONNORS
My courses are based on the Socratic method of teaching. I expect the student be actively involved, and not just passively listening.
My teaching approach is also based on current learning acquisition theory, advanced by Dr. John Medina and Total Physical Response theories. These principles enable my students to learn English effectively in a low-stress environment.
I look forward to working with you to create English instruction and learning that is customized, personalized and a whole lot of fun.
Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your English-language-learning needs.
Let’s make learning English fun!
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS
I’m an American that understands American business culture and American styles of negotiation. I have broad business experience, having worked for a Fortune 500 company for more than 20 years. I have also owned two small businesses.
As a teacher, I have 7 years of classroom and private-lesson experience, as well as the following credentials:
- Master of Education (ESL)—Boise State University
- Graduate Study Abroad—Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, South Korea led by Dr. Stan Steiner of Boise State University. Intensive 3-week cultural and language institute
- Teaching Intercultural Communication—Dr. Stella Toomey, Summer Institute for Intercultural Communication
- China—A Critical-Culture Briefing with Dr. George Renwick, Summer Institute for Intercultural Communication
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration—University of Wyoming
- ESL Teacher (Boise Public Library)—Serving refugees from over 12 countries
- Instructor of Conversational English—Adult Basic Education for Boise State University and Agency for New Americans
- Member of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language Association (TOEFL) & Teachers of English as a Second Language (TESOL)
You can’t be an effective English teacher without education and experience. However, what separates an adequate teacher from the teacher that is good for you is a personal connection.
Below are some interests and accomplishments that make John Connors uniquely experienced – or at least a lot more fun – for you to work with:
- Owner/operator of 3 small businesses over the last 20 years
- Competed in triathlons at Ironman and Olympic distances for 20 years
- Avid mountaineer, skier and backpacker
- Traveling enthusiast who loves experiencing new cultures and studying economics
- Member of Boise Aeros Triathlon Club
- Certified Ski Instructor
- Former Grand Teton National Park Backcountry Ranger and Mt. McKinley Law Enforcement Ranger
- Received the U.S. Department of Interior’s “Unit Citation Award” for a rescue effort at Petzolt Ridge on the Grand Teton